New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461) document checklist

You must provide documents to support your application for this visa. Dept of Immigration, Australia can make a decision using the information you provide when you lodge your application. It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible with your application. You must provide certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless we specifically ask for them. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.


Form 147 – Application for a New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (subclass 461) visa;

For each person included in the application who is 16 years of age or older:

Form 80 – Personal particulars for assessment including character assessment;

If someone gives you advice or lodges your application for you:

Form 956 – Advice by a migration agent/exempt person of providing immigration assistance (the agent or exempt person completes the form and you must sign it).

If you would like someone else to receive correspondence from us on your behalf:

Form 956a – Appointment or withdrawal of an authorised recipient (the recipient completes the form and you must sign it).


Personal documents

Certified copies of the biographical pages of the current passports or travel documents of all people included in the application (these are the pages with the holder’s photo and personal details and the issue/expiry dates).

Two recent passport-sized photographs (45 mm x 35 mm) of each person included in the application.

  • These photographs should be of the head and shoulders only against a plain background.
  • Print the name of the person on the back of each photograph.
  • If your name has changed or the name of anyone included in your application has changed: a certified copy of evidence of the name change.
  • Certified copies of birth certificates for you and any other person included in the application. The certificates must show the names of both parents of your dependent children. If you do not have a birth certificate and are unable to get one, you must provide a certified copy of the identification pages of at least one of the following documents:

a. family book showing both parents’ names

b. identification document issued by the government

c. court-issued documents that verify your identity.

  • Certified copies of marriage certificates or relationship registrations for you and anyone else included in your application, even if they are not joining you in Australia.
  • If you are living in a de facto relationship: independent evidence that your relationship is genuine and continuing (for example, joint bank account statements, billing accounts in joint names or joint ownership of major assets).
  • If you or anyone included in the application has been widowed, divorced or permanently separated: a certified copy of the death certificate, divorce documents, or statutory declaration separation documents.
  • If anyone included in the application has served in the armed forces of any country: certified copies of their military service record or discharge papers.
  • If you are younger than 18 years of age: evidence from each person who has the legal right to decide where you live, such as:

a. certified copies of official legal documents, such as a court-issued parental responsibility (custody), access or guardianship order

b. a statutory declaration from each person with a legal responsibility to you, stating that they have no objection to your migration

Form 1229 – Consent to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years (125KB PDF).

If you use Form 1229 or a statutory declaration, you will have to attach a certified copy of the other parent’s government-issued identification document (such as a passport or drivers licence) with their photograph and signature.

If you are unable to provide any of these documents, you must provide other acceptable evidence that you are who you claim to be.


Health examinations

You may be required to undergo health examinations as part of the visa application process. You are able to organise your health examinations before lodging a visa application. Documents to show you meet Australia’s health requirements:

  • Applying outside Australia: medical and/or x-ray examinations by a panel doctor for you and any family member planning to stay with you in Australia
  • Applying in Australia: evidence of a booking or receipt from Bupa Medical Visa Services for your medical and/or x-ray examinations.
  • Evidence that everyone included in the visa application has applied for an Australian Federal Police National Police Check if they are at least 16 years of age and have spent a total of 12 months or more in Australia since turning 16 years of age.


The AFP National Police Check Application Form is available from the Australian Federal Police website – either an online form or paper form. Visa applicants should tick Code 33 in Section 8 of the form. Fingerprints are not required.


You will be issued with a ‘National Police Check’ certificate which will have ‘Complete Disclosure’ in the heading if your AFP police check application is successful.


Police certificates from each country in which anyone in your application has spent a total of 12 months or more in the past 10 years since turning 16 years of age. Provide the original certificates and keep a copy for yourself.

If anyone included in the application has served in the armed forces of any country: certified copies of their military service record or discharge papers.

Evidence of your relationship with the New Zealand citizen. This can include:

  • certified copies of birth certificates for each person claiming a relationship with the New Zealand citizen; marriage certificates; death certificates; adoption certificates;
  • family status certificates or family books (if these documents are officially issued and maintained); Evidence that the New Zealand citizen holds or is eligible for a Special Category visa (subclass 444). This can include:
  • a certified copy of the New Zealand citizen’s birth certificate
  • a New Zealand passport; A family tree or diagram of your relationship to the New Zealand citizen.


Subclass 461 visa is meant for partners of NZ Citizens living and working in Australia. Many applicants tried to get disadvantage of this visa as they obtain visa by sponsorship of NZ Citizen – your relationship must genuine and ongoing and mutually committed and exclusive to all others. As a holder of subclass 461 you may have several other migration options to apply for permanent visa for Australia and you are welcome to discuss with us by contacting us for initial consulting.

“BMS Global has been operating for the last 18 years and has successfully dealt with AUSTRALIAN VISA applications for Student Visa, Visitor Visa, Partner Visa, Temporary Work Visa Subclass 482, Permanent RSMS Visa Subclass 187, Business Visa and AAT Appeals.”