Working Holiday Visa Subclass 417

This visa is for people aged 18 to 30 years of age from the following countries who are interested in a working holiday in Australia of up to 12 months.

·       Belgium

·       Canada

·       Republic of Cyprus

·       Denmark

·       Estonia

·       Finland

·       France

·       Germany

·       Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)

·       Republic of Ireland

·       Italy

·       Japan

·       Republic of Korea

·       Malta

·       Netherlands

·       Norway

·       Sweden

·       Taiwan

·       United Kingdom.

Visa conditions


The visa holder must comply with all visa conditions while in Australia on a Working Holiday visa. Further to the work and study limitations, additional visa conditions may be imposed on the first or second Working Holiday visa (see below for information on second Working Holiday visas). A breach of any of these conditions may result in the visa being cancelled and the visa holder may have to leave Australia.


The visa holder must not study in Australia for longer than four months. If the visa holder studies while on the first Working Holiday visa, he/she may return to the same institution if granted a second Working Holiday visa (see below for information on second Working Holiday visas).

Four months is interpreted as 17 weeks of actual study excluding holidays and orientation period.


The visa holder can do any kind of work in Australia and may work with the same employer for up to six months.

The six month work limitation applies to full time, part time, casual and shift work. Workplace based training is considered to be work.

The visa holder is able to undertake workplace based training with each employer for up to six months.

In relation to the employer:

The ’employer’ is the business for which the visa holder is working directly. If referred by an agency or labour supplier to a business, the visa holder can work for six months for that business. The same agency or labour supplier can refer the visa holder to another business where he/she can work for another six months. For the purpose of the six month limitation, the ’employer’ is considered to be the business for which the visa holder is working directly, even if being paid by an agency or labour supplier.

Working for longer than six months with the same organisation is generally not allowed, regardless of whether the duties or the location of the employee change. A Working Holiday visa holder may work for independently owned franchises located in different areas for up to six months at each site, as long as the franchisees are owned by different employers with different Australian Business Numbers.

Note: The visa holder cannot stay in the same job beyond six months by using different employment agencies, business affiliates or sub-contracting arrangements.

Australian Values Statement

If you are aged 18 years or over, you must declare that you will respect Australian values and obey the laws of Australia. For this visa, the values statement is included in the general declaration section of the application form. When you sign the application form it means you will also be signing the values statement. You will not be required to have read the Life in Australia book, but may do so if you wish.You are also encouraged to gain an understanding of Australia, its people and their way of life, before applying for this visa.

How BMS Global Visa Australia Can Assist Overseas Working Holiday Visa Subclass 417 Visa Applicants And Visa Holders

  • BMS Global Visa Australia always comes in contact with leading Australian Recruitment Agencies and Australian Employers through personal introductions or client’s recommendations.
  • BMS Global Visa Australia often receives enquires for good quality reliable overseas skilled workers such as Welders, Fitters, Diesel Motor Mechanics, Carpenters, Cooks, Chefs, Bakers, Pastry Cooks, Restaurant and Retail Managers, etc.
  • If overseas skilled workers contact us upon their arrival in Australia or from overseas, we would keep their records and based on their background of skills, education, English Level, we would suggest the best possible to find work in Australia or would recommend them to suitable employers. A small consulting fee initially would go a long way for overseas skilled workers who may later decided to settle in Australia. BMS Global has been providing immigration assistance and processing various kind of visa applications for Australian Visas since last 12 years and can suggest overseas skilled workers the best possible visa options ot find work in Australia or to settle in Australia.
  • Many overseas skilled workers from various countries will have to compulsory requirements of skills assessment, Education, Work Experience and English Language requirements prior to applying work visa for Australia. For example, overseas skilled workers from Philippines, China, Vietnam, India etc will have to meet requirements of Skills Assessment, Education, Work Experience, English Test etc.
  • Many overseas skilled workers will have to meet with requirements of Registration or Licensing in their occupations prior to commence work in Australia. For example, Electricians, Plumbers, Doctors, Nurses and Midwives etc.
  • Different Assessing Bodies in Australia have various requirements to meet with to receive positive skills assessments. Different Registration and Licensing Bodies have complex requirements to meet with for receiving registration or license to work in Australia. Different States of Australia have their own requirements to work in their states. Immigration Laws are Complex and Changing and we at BMS Global Visa Australia keeps tracks and records of changes and would advise the overseas skilled workers the most appropriate way to apply for either temporary work visa or permanent visa for Australia
  • BMS Global Visa Australia have been dealing with various farmers for their requirements of overseas skilled workers. Many farmers send their requests to find them suitable overseas skilled workers to work on their farms. We would recommend overseas skilled workers to them if they fit into their requirements. Also to apply for second working holiday visa Australia subclass 417 the visa holders have to meet with certain requirements of working in farms. BMS Global Visa Australia may assists such second time visa applicants by finding suitable work in farms as farmers do enquire with us often for casual workers.

Second Working Holiday visa subclass 417

To qualify for the second Working Holiday visa, an applicant must have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia while on their first Working Holiday visa.

Areas of specified work


Specified work is work in the areas listed below. It does not include work in the tourism and hospitality sector.

  • plant and animal cultivation cultivating or propagating plants, fungi or their products or parts;
  • general maintenance crop work; harvesting and/or packing fruit and vegetable crops;
  • immediate processing of animal products including shearing,
  • butchery in an abattoir, packing and tanning (Note: secondary processing of animal products, such as small goods processing and retail butchery, is not eligible);
  • immediate processing of plant products;
  • maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or their bodily produce, including natural increase;
  • manufacturing dairy produce from raw material;
  • pruning and trimming vines and trees;
  • fishing and pearling conducting operations relating directly to taking or catching fish and other aquatic species and conducting operations relating directly to taking or culturing pearls or pearl shell;
  • tree farming and felling trees in a plantation or forest, planting or tending trees in a plantation or forest that are intended to be felled and transporting trees or parts of trees that were felled in a plantation or forest to the place where they are first to be milled or processed or from which they are to be transported to the place where they are to be milled or processed
  • Mining, including coal mining, construction material engineering, exploration, metal ore mining, mining support services, oil and gas extraction, and other non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying;
  • construction building completion services;
  • building installation and structure services;
  • heavy and civil engineering construction;
  • land development and site preparation services; and
  • residential and non-residential building construction

Specified work does not need to be paid work. For example work undertaken as a volunteer or through the Willing Workers on Organic Farms (WWOOF) scheme may also qualify, if the work undertaken falls within the areas of specified work identified above; does not need to be undertaken as a direct employee. For example work as a contractor within the areas of specified work identified in the list above, is eligible; and must be identified in areas of specified work as listed above. For example, working as a nanny for a farmer would not be eligible. It also does not include office, administration or reception work in the areas of specified work listed above.

Further information is available from the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.