A$5 Million Business Visa
Buy Slice of Australia with A$5 million
This stream of A$5 million is called
Significant Investor stream
Australia has introduced Significant Investor Stream of Business Visa Subclass 188 (Temporary Business Visa) for those Business People worldwide who are not able to stay longer in Australia due to their commitment overseas. So, flexibility is given to those applicants where they have to stay in Australia only for 40 days per year OR their partners have to stay only for 180 days per year. In any case, visa applicant must meet with the requirements and must meet with following criteria and then can move on to apply for subclass 888 business visa called permanent business visa.
Significant Investor stream is for people who are willing to invest at least AUD$5million into complying significant investments in Australia and want to maintain business and investment activity in Australia. Applicants can be nominated by a state or territory government or Austrade on behalf of the Australian government.
You must have a genuine and realistic commitment to:
- reside in the state or territory whose government agency nominated you,
- continue your business and investment activity in Australia after the conclusion of your provisional visa,
- live in Australia for at least 40 days per year (calculated cumulatively) for the duration of your provisional visa, or your spouse to live for at least 180 days per year (calculated cumulatively) for the duration of your provisional visa.
You, your partner, or you and your partner combined must have net assets of at least AUD5 million that are legally acquired, unencumbered, and available to be used to make the complying investment in Australia.
You and your partner must not have been involved in unacceptable business or investment activities.
You, members of your family unit aged at least 18 must agree not to bring any action against the Commonwealth for any loss relating to your complying investment.
Income that you earn from your complying investment in Australia is subject to tax under Australian taxation law.
You must also make a complying investment or a complying significant investment of at least AUD5 million over four years.
Important: You might want to seek independent legal advice in relation to ensuring that an investment made for the purpose of this stream is a ‘complying significant investment’. It is your responsibility to ensure your investment options comply.
Complying Significant Investments for applications made after 1 July 2015
If you applied for a Significant Investor visa prior to 1 July 2015, see the rules below, which will continue to apply to you.
For applications made after July 2015 you must make a complying significant investment of at least AUD5 million over four years in the following proportions:
- At least AUD500 000 in venture capital and growth private equity funds which invest in start-ups and small private companies.
- At least AUD1.5 million in approved managed funds investing in emerging companies listed on the Australian Stock Exchange.
- A ‘balancing investment’ of at least AUD3 million in managed funds that may invest in a range of assets, including ASX-listed companies, Australian corporate bonds or notes, annuities and commercial real estate.
Direct investment in residential real estate continues to be prohibited and indirect investment in residential property through managed funds is now strictly limited.
Investments must not be used as security or collateral for a loan.
More detailed information about complying significant investments is available at Austrade.